Mountain View Speedway

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mountain View Speedway
Mountain View Speedway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Racing Junk.com
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:09 am by Media Mogle

» Opening Day Flyer
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm by Media Mogle

» "Flamin"Raymond Pennington
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 pm by Media Mogle

» OPEN PRACTICE/INSPECTION March 19th & 26........
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm by Media Mogle

» Get the money to finish your car now!
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:06 pm by LuvRacinRog

» R.I.P. Danny Ody
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 pm by Race Director

» Remember when......
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm by Media Mogle

» WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm by Media Mogle

» Former Modified Racing Great Rene Charland Dies
WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 pm by Media Mogle

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD

Go down

WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD Empty WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD

Post  Media Mogle Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Former NASCAR engine builder and crew chief Waddell Wilson was presented with the prestigious Smokey Yunick Award Saturday afternoon at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The Smokey Yunick Award recognizes an individual who rose from humble beginnings to make a major impact in motorsports. The award was first given in 1997 and is named in honor of the legendary mechanic and car owner who passed away in 2001.

“I was floored when I heard I had won this,” said Wilson. “I could not imagine with all of the people to pick from they chose me. It’s more than an honor with all the people I have been around and worked with and come up through the ranks with. And all of them I know that deserve this more than I do.”

Charlotte Motor Speedway president and general manager Marcus Smith presented Wilson with the award.

“He shied away from the spotlight, but his tireless efforts were a driving force behind some of the sport’s greatest drivers and he is a most deserving recipient of the Smokey Yunick Award,” Smith said.

In his career, Wilson won Daytona 500 three times as a crew chief and engine builder. His engine powered the car that Benny Parsons used to turn the first 200 mph lap in NASCAR history. Wilson has 109 wins to his credit as an engine builder and 13 as a crew chief. Wilson also served instrumental roles with Cale Yarborough Motorsports, Darrell Waltrip Motorsports and Larry Hedrick Motorsports. He retired from racing in 2000.

Former NASCAR driver and ESPN commentator Ricky Craven benefited from Wilson’s experience. “I could not have won Rookie of the Year without him,” said Craven. “He is not only one of the best people I know, he is a great family man.”

Media Mogle
Admin

https://mountainviewforum.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum